Saturday, March 8, 2008

Education and Economics

It was only a matter of time before the Subprime crisis hit the people that really need loans- college kids. In this article in the Boston Globe it's a sad statement of our society when we can't even afford college anymore becuase no one will give you a loan.

I would never have made it through undergrad if I didn't have private loans available to me. St. Mary's was a great school, but it was not inexpensive. And there are so many middle-class kids like me who won't be allowed the same opportunities if we continue on this path.

I don't have kids yet, but if I did I would be scared to imagine paying for my kids' education, my own college debt, my mortgage, life, etc. It's scary! Makes me want to move to Sweden where they pay outrageous taxes, but their health care is free, and their education is free through a college degree. But... that means that there is no chance to pay for a better education or a better surgeon, you get what the government supports.

There is no easy answer, but I wonder if we might be better off if we just take the government out of all of the equations. Privately fund everything from: health care to education to the road maintenance crew.

No comments: