Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Plastic bottles hurt more than the environment

When I was a camp counselor at the St. Mary's Summer Camps my friend ErinRose started telling me that I shouldn't re-fill old plastic water bottles with new water. She claimed the plastic would produce a residue that would leak into the new water. It made sense to me, so I quit re-using water bottles. But that lead to more plastic being wasted, so the next logical step in 1999 was to get a Nalgene bottle, it cut down on the plastic bottle waste. But it turns out, I was probably doing as much damage to myself as re-using the original plastic bottles.

This great article in the Boston Globe talks about the toxins that leak from hard plastic bottles.

About a year ago I bought a Klean Kanteen, which I swear by. It's an easy replacement for a Nalgene bottle, and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a viable alternative to hard plastic water bottles.

1 comment:

Giorgio said...

Hi Thereasa,

You wrote a very interesting post. Here in Italy we don't re-use plastic bottles. Although in Southern territories we had Waste problems last years, recycling of plastic bottles is developing here down.

Regards.
Giorgio