Friday, August 21, 2009

Passion makes an influencer

I have heard it from @aaronstrout @garyvee, @gwenbell, @chrisbrogan, @danschawbel etc. The list of social influencers goes on and on. "It's all about you providing meaningful value to the world."

M-E-A-N-I-N-G-F-U-L V-A-L-U-E

It means different things to everyone. But I would suggest that meaningful value means at least:
1. you care about others
2. you want to make something better (the world, a user experience, your kids' lives)

When blogging first started people didn't understand others' need to get on their soap box and shout at the world, and then people started taking an interest because people started commenting and conversing about issues. Great, now we are talking... phew!

And then came twitter, it became a shorter way to converse about things that matter to you. And all of the above mentioned social influencers preach about the importance of conversing, and not shouting. And this is the MEANINGFUL VALUE I was talking about.

So the value is YOU, but a thoughtful one, not a soap-box one. Your brand, your recommendations, your opinions, your passion. It's like everyone is a celebrity, and if you have done the conversing right, you probably have an entourage of people who care about what you care about. And you listen to what they say, and they listen to what you say.

And I get it. I am on board people! But the biggest hole for me is- what is my passion? I am passionate about my three things: education, the economy and the environment, but that's a lot to be passionate about. And should I focus on something that I can change? I can't change the countries public education system, I wouldn't know where to start, I just know when something clearly doesn't work, but that's not rocket science, that's common sense. Same thing goes for the environment and the economy.

Until I figure it out, I am going to keep watching and reading things like this to keep me motivated to find my passion!


I would like to thank Aaron Strout for pushing me off the ledge so long ago when I was scared to say anything at all...

3 comments:

Daphne said...

If you're interested in finding out more about having meaningful conversations, I've been really impressed by Susan Scott's book called Fierce Conversations. She has a website, too (http://fierceinc.com/). I have been really inspired by her approach to life and relationships and I'm also trying to answer the question "What is my passion?" I think the key is asking yourself the right questions and giving yourself the time to truly listen to the answers.

Good luck! I admire your passions!

Thereasa said...

Thank you Daphne! Thank you for the link to Susan Scott. I also got some great insight from Gwen Bell who suggested I focus on the intersection of my three interest areas and I will likely find my passion at that intersection.

Daphne said...

That's great advice too. Thanks for passing it along!