Monday, September 13, 2010

Little Decisions Big Impact

I went to see 180 South at the local Patagonia store last week and was again blown away at just how unaware I find myself sometimes. I listen, I love to learn, I am constantly trying to be a better human, partner, employee, sister, daughter, etc. But, then I see things like this movie and am just shocked at how some of my little decisions make a big impact that I may never see.

In the movie Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia and Doug Tompkins, founder of The North Face and The Conservation Land Trust talk about what they are doing in South America to make a difference. Including purchasing millions of acres of land to keep in a preserve. They fight to prevent these countries from selling very rich and ecologically unique lands to various power and pulp companies, that essentially do to the Earth what 90 days of McDonald's does to your body- breaks you down physically and mentally.

Guess where these power and pulp companies are selling their products? The U.S. Why? Because I forgot to turn off the overhead fans before I left the house last week. Because I NEED the AC unit to run when it gets above 85 degrees outside. Because I still like to wrap presents instead of wrapping them in recycled newspaper or something similar.

Little things, easily fixed. The scientists have been saying it for years. If we all make LITTLE changes, it makes a BIG impact. But remember, that works in both directions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post! I'd agree completely that it's often the little decisions, built up over time, that end up mattering a lot more than the big ones.